Sunday, September 17, 2006

the lost boys

our community here has a high amount of children left to roam and wander. many single parents trying to make it on their own leave the kids left to themselves to wander, play and find all sorts of mischief. right now at the age most of these boys are at it is okay and they're pretty harmless. in a couple more years it might become a real problem.

some of these boys have ended up on our doorstep more times than i can count this past summer. yesterday we took one of these boys with us to the fair and a kids event at the local anglican church. both were small town attempts at doing the best they could with what they have. on the scale of my own, even my kids experiences they were not anything great or grand. all the kids had a really good time though. afterward this little red-haired boy came up to me and say 'thank you, that was the most fun i've had in a very long time'.

10 years old and he had never ridden a pony or had a snow cone or sat in the love of a church trying to reach children for christ.

i wanted to weep. i could even now. the joy on his face was evident. he truly had a really good time. later that day his father called to say thank you. i can't imagine how difficult it would be to want more for your children that you are unable to give them. the need in this community is so great. the lack so profound. god, please open the door so that i am able to use whatever you've given me to bring light and life to this place.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Can't imagine anyone better suited to spread around Jesus-love.

Erin said...

BTW... I don't like blogger beta. It won't let me post a comment as wilsonian :(

bobbie said...

they're working on it erin - i know it's a bit frustrating right now. i can't get my haloscan comments to work either.

Len said...

drop me an e-mail please. I'll give you a little update.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I tried this earlier and it didn't work for me. I'm trying again.

Loved the thought that this special little boy had red hair. Could just see you all at the fair.
Bracebridge Fall Fair is not Disneyland either, but then, holding hands and the companionship of laughter is the best part of any event.

Love,
Connie