Monday, January 12, 2009

the enemy of truth

this is rippling into my consciousness today. from the OA For Today daily reading:
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived and dishonest -- but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy

My food addiction was acquired so I could survive and cope in earlier, painful circumstances. Thus began two myths: First, that pain was to be avoided at all costs, and second, that eating would relieve the pain free of charge. These myths were useful then, but they are insanity today.

As I become willing to accept the truth that is revealed to me in this program, the myths I clung to so desperately lose credibility. I no longer need to be anesthetized; I can stand still and feel my feelings. I don't think something is wrong if I'm not happy every minute.

For Today: The more I accept the reality of what is, the more comfortable and serene my life becomes.
where is the myth that i am believing that is stopping the truth from setting me free today?

3 comments:

Amy A. said...

Wow, when it's spelled out like that it makes so much sense. But when I'm in the trenches sometimes the only thing that makes sense is believing the lie.

This is a good one.

Anonymous said...

So true -- thank you for a reminder to just be still and feel the pain. It doesn't come easily, does it?

Togenberg said...

I don't have an addiction but I do have things that i do that a costly and problematic, specifically conflict avoidance, hyposexual behavior (if that can be a term) and depression.

In therapy we keep discovering the costs I pay for the choices I maintain. The parachute that saved become the pillow that smothers.

I love that JFK quote: "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived and dishonest -- but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Bless you my friend

(((hugs)))