a couple of weeks ago hugo had a link to a blog i have never read before, but the idea struck me so deeply i knew i needed to participate:
Zuzu has a post up this morning: Wonderful, Glorious, Me. She writes:
this will take just about everything i have to do this. i am capable of recognizing postive things about "my self" but horrible at recognizing them about my body, so i am limiting myself to 5 things i "LOVE" (gosh that is a strong word) about my body. here goes:
Let me try to open up the floor to give us a chance to do something together.
We’re conditioned, particularly as women, to be self-deprecating, to not take up space, to not revel in our bodies and ourselves. We can get 150 comments in a thread about when we realized that we were aware our bodies weren’t up to snuff; let’s see how many we can generate praising ourselves.
Your mission: list at least five things you love about your body and yourself. Five is the floor; you can always do more. And no self-deprecation! No offsetting a compliment with a dig.
- i have beautiful hair. it is thick, bright, unique and mine. i have had strangers stop me in public to ask me about my hair or compliment me, and even had a male friend in college ask me one day if he could just touch it. i even had a hairdresser in toronto steal my hair as he cut it. this was before the days of extensions and 'locks for life' and i was very relieved to hear that he was going to sell it and not go home and spread it all over his bed and roll in it.
- i am well proportioned. nothing looks out of place on me. although i am big i am shapely and rubenesque in the right places.
- i have great gams. i take after my mother, she had beautiful legs too.
- my feet are very pretty and feminine.
- i am happy with my breasts. it feels very weird to say that here, but that's what this is for, right?
- i couldn't come up with a #6 if i was held at gunpoint.
wonderful, glorious me.