Monday, July 12, 2004

word on the street psalm 23

while away last week i was working on my new 23rd psalm and read rob lacey's from a new copy of 'the street bible', or as zondervan now calls it 'the word on the street' either way it is a refreshing, new take on an old favorite.

here's a taste:

psalm 23:1-6 you comfort me (rock opera a la 'bohemian rhapsody')
(copyright david)

1-3

(verse)

you're my guide and my guard, my minder, my mentor
what more do i need? what's better at the center?

you sit me down, put my best cd on,
and my dismembered soul remembers who i am again.

4

(chorus) (backing)

you're with me; you comfort me (x2)


(lead)

and you hold my swaying heart - so soft, so strong

(chorus) (backing)

you're with me; you comfort me (x2)

(lead)

you stop them tearing me apart - i fear no wrong
you show me where to go, without telling me
you set a value on my life, without selling me

(chorus) (backing)

you're with me; you comfort me (x2)

3

(verse)

you call me to the streets; you show me such good things,
right things with no hidden strings - just your name on them.
my soul celebrates; there's something about your great repute,
like a distant flute it comforts me.
(chorus)

4

(verse)

i crawl through the alley of the shadow of cancer;
i know, you know the answer, and the battle won't rattle me.
you're around, and i've found there's something about your empathy,
your symphony of sympathy, that comforts me.
(chorus)

5

(bridge)

you lay out a table, you sit me down;
my rivals arrive from the greatest to the least,
but my cup's kept full, and my head's held high
as you boast about me, your least priest,
and make them toast me right through the feast.
boy, does it comfort me!
(chorus)

6

(end song)

i know that your good, your best, your love and passion
will stalk me, steer me, stand alongside me,
outlast every fad and fashion, through all eternity.
for i'm going to live with you,
see heaven's great views from my own cosmic mews;
no lease to renew, no terms to review, no one else to view -
just me and you, me and you, me and you,
right through, to the end of time.

No comments: