Wednesday, October 18, 2006

what we miss

hearing and meeting brian mclaren today was great. it was a small gathering and a wonderful opportunity to ask questions and pick his brain. i think it was nice for him to be around friends and people who weren't prepared to rip him a new one, and i think it surprised him a bit not to have to explain, justify, correct or defend himself for a short period in an otherwise busy day.

he quotes a friend, and didn't name the source, but i thought the quote was worth keeping here (if you know who said it originally please feel free to post in the comments and i'll gladly correct it)
What we focus on determines what we miss.

i really like that sentiment in returning to read bible stories that seem so well known or familiar things in our everyday lives.

i don't want to miss anything. i want to enlarge my focus and see what it is that i have been missing.

ps - jen and matt - it was so nice to be able to drop your names - brian sends his love!

3 comments:

Sarah Louise said...

Whoa. That is so true--and it slices both ways--if we focus on the good, we miss out on the bad, and if we focus on the bad...oh this is soooo profound. Wow. Thanks! And wow, Brian M! If I had more vacation time I'd go see him next week, but I don't and I'm still digesting Doug Pagitt's visit from a few weeks ago.

Matt said...

Thanks for dropping it...

I'm glad you got to meet him.

Visual-Voice said...

I like that quote too. Reminds me of a quote from the book The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. "Every choice has its price."

Indeed, it does!