Friday, December 08, 2006

this just in - hsp #2

a blogging friend just wrote me this in an email:

The "word verification" part of the comments isn't showing, so it's not possible to post a comment (i removed it for the time being). Anyhow, I took the test and guess what? 27 out of 27. But I figured that before I even took it.

I saw this paragraph while reading about HSP and it reminded me of you:
As we have come to know, Highly Sensitive People's systems are very porous, meaning that external stimuli seems to be more directly absorbed into their bodies. (It has been said that it is as if HSP "have no skin" to protect them from these outside stimuli.) Non-HSP generally are less porous and have natural defenses which defuse external stimuli thereby not directly impacting and overloading their nervous systems.
Sounds a bit like a sponge, yes? God is showing you things and helping others along the way. Thanks for blazing the trail.

~~~~~~~~
you're welcome! i love that the light is turning on for other too - it makes such a difference to know and begin to understand this. long ago i told liam it felt like my nerves were on the outside of my body instead of the inside. is it any wonder a church of 1,500 and a foyer the size of rhode island made me physically sick each week before church? we are in a much better place for me now.

i spoke with pink when she got home from school today. this will be huge for her - she'll be so much gentler on herself than i was.

just last month i said to liam "okay, i'm 41 years old now and i'm giving myself permission not to like parties." i hate them. i am so uncomfortable there, and i can FEEL other people's discomfort too. watching them self-medicate with alcohol or food too bridge that just makes me so sad. malls do the same thing to me. i can feel people's loneliness there, really feel it. i hate them. i hate parties and malls for other reasons too - but that is the biggest reason.

i have shamed myself for far too long because of this. so nice to know i'm not alone and that i have very good reason not to. yay!

1 comment:

Candy said...

wow. i'm glad i read this. it describes my son. i've often wondered about him and now i believe we've found our answer. thanks for the link to the website.