Friday, January 26, 2007

the summer of 1982

last night we sat down with the family to watch 'the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe' together. it was a borrowed copy and as i put the dvd into the player 'mrs. robinson' started playing. i fiddled with the remote and nothing was working, the dvd wouldn't start and it took me quite some time to figure out what was wrong.

the family we borrowed the movie from is a huge, high paced family and i guess someone stored 'simon & garfunkle greatest hits' in the narnia case. our kids were sorely disappointed. i on the other hand was thrilled. instantly i was transported back to 1982. i must have listened to that cassette tape 1000's of times that summer on my walkman.

i can remember wishing my name was emily, being so desperate to find the novel that detailed the rest of the story begun with scarborough fair, and longing for the day i could road trip across america. but it was the boxer, i am a rock and bridge over troubled water that so deeply soaked into my soul. i felt understood for the first time in my life.

i was not alone.

i have added the cd to my itunes. i don't usually 'borrow' music, i feel strongly about paying for it and don't think i'd enjoy it if i did - but this cd is one i paid for at least twice, once in vinyl and once in cassette tape - and it soaks over me like a warm summer rain.

so today i sit and soak in the beauty that is the greatest hits. i would argue some of the greatest songs ever penned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Bobbie! I would have loved to have been there to be transformed back to 1974 (I think I am a bit older than you - lol). I wore out my vinyl record and had to get a new one cause I loved every song. Remember "Cecelia"? I named my cat after that catchy little tune!

(ps i thought of you today because i am going to be posting about my addiction issues and i am admire you for being so open on the subject)